I first blogged about being a traveler in your hometown last February. In that post I focused on the benefits of exploring natural places in your own area. Today I'd like to encourage a wider view.
Try to think about your area as someone who's never been there before. What would you want to see? Or, pretend you need to advise some tourists- where would you send them?
If I very quickly run down the list of places I would recommend within roughly one hour of my house, here's what I would say.
New Bedford, MA (20 minute drive)
Providence, Rhode Island (45 minute drive)
- Wood's Hole-great to walk around, see aquarium, Wood Hole Oceanographic Institute
- Rail Trail (Old Train tracks converted to bike path)
- Cape Cod National Seashore
- Monomoy National Wildlife Refuge
- Plimoth Plantation and Mayflower II
- Walk along the waterfront- maybe see the wholly unimpressive "Plimoth Rock"
- Duck Tours
- Freedom Trail
- Loads of museums (Museum of Science, Museum of Fine Arts, Gardener Museum, etc.)